Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Lengthened Alder Shirtdress

It would seem the 90s are cool again. There may be some gray area in the cool factor if youve already participated in a trend during a previous fashion cycle, but Im willing to overlook that possible age induced faux pas for the feel on rayon on my legs. This dress revisits the long flowing frocks of the 90s. I loved them in floral rayons then, I love them in linen rayon now.

This is a lengthened Alder Shirtdress. A modification Ive had on my mind since I cut out my first view A (made before View B, View B) last year. Why is it that good ideas hit you at the exact moment its too late to do anything about them. I really wanted that dress to be mid-length, it took until now to realize the vision. I made this dress over a month ago, and wear it every chance I get, but photographing mat black is well above my skill level. I finally gave up and went with my normal white door backdrop. The details are lost, youll have to trust me that there werent many to begin with.
This is pretty straightforward Alder except that I lengthened pattern 9 then raised the highest point of the curve 3 at the sides. Next time I might raise the sides a few inches more. I used the square pockets of the Archer. Otherwise it is made as written.


The fabric is the perfectly mat, delightfully flowy Robert Kaufman Brussels Washer Linen Blend. Its a rayon/linen blend making for a really nice drape. I used the few black and white scraps I had to liven up the insides, and brown tone buttons for a little contrast.

As far as summer dresses go this one is pretty awesome, flowing and unstructured for the summer heat, but casual enough to wear for no special reason. If I promise never to wear it with Doc Martins, I think the fashion police will overlook my transgression.


PROJECT NOTES:
Fabric: Robert Kaufman Brussels Washer Linen from Fabric.com


FOLLOW ALONG!
    
SaveSaveSaveSave

9 comments:

  1. Yes, I had a flowy flowered rayon dress in almost this exact silhouette. I forgot all about it. I also wore it with my Doc Martins. I've been watching reruns of 90210 lately - they are in college now - and there are lots of clunky boots with florals. Anyway, your dress is a good update - the silhouette still works but I think the florals would be too much on that expanse of fabric. I also like your inner details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! This is exactly 90210! I was trying to think of an appropriate cultural reference and kept coming up short.

      Confession: I still have my Doc Martins from high school!

      Delete
  2. oh yes, it looks so comfy and nice! i totally thought that all you were missing was doc boots to complete the 90s ensemble and then saw that in your post, haha! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See note above. :) I can complete 90's look whenever I want!

      Delete
  3. Lovely. That fabric sounds amazing. Love your innard defails!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Thanks, innards deserve a little love too. :)

      Delete
  4. Love it! I've just bought some black rayon so may copy you entirely...

    ReplyDelete
  5. That dress is gorgeous! What an amazing closet workhorse. It would look beautiful as a duster vest as well.

    ReplyDelete